Do you have an important goal, but you can’t seem to complete it? The secret behind highly successful people is that they know how to overcome procrastination. It’s not usually laziness, but instead a fear of failure.
A fear of failure is very common, even in highly successful people. This form of self-sabotage that can be sneaky. It’s usually going on below your conscious awareness. In other words, it’s stopping you and you don’t even realize it.
Here are 3 steps to help you transform this fear:
- STEP 1 – Admit to yourself that you fear failure. Many people pretend they are not afraid, when they are. If that fear is lurking in the background it will sabotage your forward movement. The first step to transform it, is to accept it, and have compassion for yourself. That’s what high achievers do. They know how to overcome procrastination because they know the true cause.
- STEP 2 – Ask yourself what’s the worst that could happen if you fail? Writing that out is important. For example, a coaching client of ours was not finishing her resume, for fear of getting rejected if she put it out in the world. By thinking through the worst case scenario, she realized she’d been rejected many times before and survived. It wasn’t that big a deal.
- STEP 3 – Allow yourself to be imperfect. The first time I ever led a seminar, it was not well done. I’d give myself just a C+. It was my first time, so I didn’t know what I was doing. I beat myself up for days thinking of all the things I did wrong. Then I got an email from an attendee that said the seminar changed her life for the better in a huge way. It reminded me that it’s better to show up and be imperfect than to sit on the sidelines and not even try. Even at C+, it made a big difference.
That may be true for you, too. What will you and others be missing out on if you don’t go after your goal? Even if it’s imperfect, you’ll be much further along than if you never try.
THE OVERCOMING FEAR OF FAILURE PROCESS
For a more in depth solution, you can also check out
This is a guided audio and tutorial video to help you:
- learn from and let go of negative feelings about past mistakes
- reframe past failures in terms of what you learned
- feel much more confident moving towards your important goals
Trackback from your site.